Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mexican Chicken Lime Soup

Pin It!
It's the time of year that really should qualify as good soup weather.  Well, in some parts of the country it is still quite warm... like where I am.  However, for me that does not change the fact that I am hungry for soup.  So I decided to make a batch of this soup and it ended up tasting SO yummy.  This really is a simple recipe.

Mexican Chicken Lime Soup

1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T. cooking fat (Ghee is what I used this time)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans of diced tomatoes 
2 c. shredded chicken
2 c. chicken stock
Juice of 1 lime



Place red pepper, onion, and garlic on a pan and pour melted ghee over it. Salt and pepper it to taste.  Broil this for about 20 min.  (This step could be simplified by sauteing the vegetables in the soup pot until they are soft; however, roasting them under the broiler first adds a depth of flavor.)

While they are roasting, cook your chicken and shred it.  Since I happened to make the stock today as well, I was able to get 2 cups of meat off of the chicken carcass.  They were super tender and fell apart into an amazing consistency in the soup.

                       

                       

In a pot, combine peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, chicken, broth, spices, and lime juice.  Stir until mixed well and simmer until warmed through or ready to serve.

Topping ideas:
Shredded Lettuce
Salsa/Pico De Gallo


Cheese*
Sour Cream*
Corn Chips*



*NOT Paleo/Whole30 approved (I added these for my husband.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment